IBC Growth Update 02/05/14

Finally a chance to update about my IBC system! It has been a long few months for the system including upsets, travelling, tragedy and no end in sight.

With the purchase of a new house taking up much of my time the system had been poorly neglected. The brahmi had taken over almost the entire grow bed, with the garlic chives and a few chilies being the only plants struggling to break through it. The silver perch were getting getting irregular feeding until I sorted out an auto feeder. It was a sorry state of affair for the entire system.

Finally it was time to move the system, so using another bulky, I cut out a section off the top for an access hatch to make a tank that wasn’t going to leak during transit. The idea was to put this tank on the back of a ute, fill it with water, add the fish and drive the 4.5 hours to the new home. I used a battery operated air pump that should last more than long enough for the trip down. Plans always work better before they are initiated… Unfortunately the ute that the fish were on had an overheating issue. It seemed that the IBC on the back, a furniture trailer and and Australian summer were all a bit too much for it. This resulted in a few hour long stop over half way and an air pump that run out of puff. The results? A lot of dead fish unfortunately.

Onward and upward. I roughly set up the system in a temporary location until I complete the earthworks for the new location. I filled the tank with water and put any fish that looked like they might survive the move in. At the end i had a total of six fish survive the move, so given what happened I am pleased to still have a few silvers in the tank. I suspect that the final COD for the silvers was a lack of oxygen given the elevated temp of the water, no air being pumped in and that all the survivors were the smallest of my silvers. The following day I threw in the plants that made the move and the system was left like this for a few weeks while I was away at work.

Around a week and a half ago I finally got the time to go and purchase some seedlings. The new plants include lettuce, english spinach, beetroot, capsicum, basil, tomato, rosemary and garlic. Just a few of the staples that we use regularly to help reduce the nitrates from my few silver perch. I expect that the tomato will use up any free nitrogen in the system before long, so I may need to start adding some additional ammonia to the system while the silvers slow down over winter. I am still hopeful of sourcing some Tandanus tandanus catfish this year. They will be much more active during the cooler winter months that the silver I hope, keeping the system powering over winter.

Yesterday I had 60 seconds spare so I grabbed a few quick photos. I have included a few from a small dirt garden that got the same seedlings at the same time to compare them. When I get a chance to go out and grab some decent photos I will, instead of these smartphone pictures.


Leave a Reply