Growth Update 27/05/12

Well it has been a full month since i have done an update on my system. Time flys!

The plants are powering along. So much so that i have been having to trim back my capsicum so it doesn’t try and lift the roof off. My rhubarb has also been going out of control. I am seriously considering removing it because of the size of it and the amount of light it is robbing from the other plants. It is only going to get bigger too! The snow peas are managing to work its way out form under the rhubarb and is starting to grow well. The capsicum and jalapeno fruit are starting to get really big too. My only concern with them is that it will get too cold before they ripen up.

There are a few plants that are not doing so well also. The spring onion has failed to grow much since i posted a photo of it last month. Also the carrots and leeks are either dying off or not growing at all. I really think this is due to the lack of sunlight they get each day. Especially now the capsicum and chilli plants are filling out. I am thinking that tomatoes might be a better bet for that spot. Something that will be able to grow tall at least.

Included is a photo of the crown of my rhubarb. This shows the damage that the wind can do with the broken stalks. The wind break is doing an excellent job but every now and then we get a northerly wind that hammers everything.

The most exciting news though is that i finally got some trout in the system. They were added around the middle of last month and have been doing really well. I got 12 Rainbow Trout that were around 100 – 150mm long. I have to be honest that when i added them i wasn’t certain how they were going to go with all the gambrusia in the water too. I was concerned that the unregulated feeding was going to overload my grow bed filter. Luckily though, my cycling process did the trick with the regular heavy doses of ammonia towards the introduction of the trout. My opinion is that it is preferable to have your filter capacity reduce because there isnt enough ammonia rather than the other way round.

Just a quick update on the aquarium. I went out and spent a few hours looking for driftwood to add to the tank. I found a great looking piece which fitted perfectly into my main tank. Any bigger and it wouldnt have fit in there. You can see in the photos that there is still a lot of tannins being released into the water.

I have also got a new fish since the last update. It is a ghost knife fish and is a very cool little guy. It has a see through body and you can only see its skeleton.

My plants have really been struggling with the lack of light they have been getting. Even with the new LED grow lights they have not really been doing well. I tried putting an Aloe Vera shoot int there though and that has gone crazy. I was not expecting it to survive but i have been very impressed with the growth.